View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 PM

My current insurance does cover ADR. As to whether or not I qualify, there's a ton of terms that even when I look up I have no way of knowing if it's a problem (e.g. degenerative spondylolisthesis with greater than 3 mm slippage) or not without a new set of MRIs. The only problem previous MRIs saw was the one bad disc, but that was over 4 years ago now, and 10 years ago when I first had the problem the doctor mentioned I was a candidate for ADR but it was (at the time) very experimental and my symptoms (again, at the time) weren't severe enough to make me a good candidate. Assuming little has changed except the disc is worse and ADR is more well known, I'd guess I've got a shot at ADR being a solution.

I have been hunting for surgeons via Google. I did run across Kitchell's name and he's about 100 miles south of me. Eugene is a small town (where Kitchell is), but has some renowned ortho surgeons, though historically more for foot/knee injuries (Eugene is a big track and field town due to the U of O). I also found a Dr. Kellogg here in Portland that does ADR.

The biggest problem is how the heck do you know if they're any good or how many surgeries they've performed? In addition, it sounds like the vascular surgeon is HUGE in lumbar surgeries so I'll need to know more about that surgeon as well. The research needed and the social engineering required to get it is rather daunting! Also, I've read the brochures and hit a bunch of Google sites, but I'm not really finding anything that indicates if any disc is significantly better than another. Charite, Pro-Disc, does it matter?

Who do I talk to first? Dr. Kellogg's office assistant said if I'd had MRIs and pre-surgical workup, then I could call and make an appointment. Which to me sounds like I need to start with someone other than the surgeon to get the preliminaries done?

Edit: Yikes! Google for "charite oregon" and nearly every listing is about a lawsuit...
Limited ability to walk or stand for any extended period
Have had PT, steroid injections, chiro, massage, etc.

Last edited by ckessel; 03-30-2010 at 09:56 PM.