View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:36 PM

Hey everyone,

It's been awhile since I last posted, so I just wanted to provide a quick update as I'm still agonizing over my final surgical decision (my hair is literally falling out as a result of all this stress LOL)... sometimes, just posting on here helps get some of the weight off of my shoulders and I always genuinely appreciate everyone's feedback and thoughts.

So I met with Dr. Yue up at Yale a number of weeks ago. Really nice guy, and I thoroughly enjoyed talking to him. Biggest take-aways were that he urged me to get a CT Myelogram before surgery (which I did right before the holidays), and he also is a pretty big fan of the Spinal Kinetics M-6 disc. He said something to the extent that if he could implant one device in all of his patients today, that would be it. He also confirmed that I've lost all reflexes in my left arm at this point. I followed up with him after I got the CT, and he recommended facet blocks at 2/3 (left) and C7 / T1 (right) before I got a two-level fusion or ADR. At this point, I think I need to move forward with surgery to alleviate the cord compression although I appreciate his conservative approach.

I also followed up with Dr. Bitan and Nick Boeree after the CT scan. Both are sticking to their original recommendations... a hybrid with Bitan (which he thinks is slightly preferable to a two level fusion), or a two-level ADR (M6) with Nick Boeree. Dr. Bitan said my facets appear to be in pretty good shape, and Nick Boeree said he didn't see anything in my CT that would be a contraindication for the two-level ADR. Nick also feels strongly that a two-level ADR is the best course of action for me.

My biggest concern, however, is that I was finally able to get TBI to review my CT Myelogram (which they suggested a while ago) and give me some feedback. I believe it was Dr. Zigler and Dr. Blumenthal who reviewed them. While I did not speak to the doctors directly, the feedback was that they did not think that I was a good candidate for ADR given (1) the severity of the stenosis, and (2) the amount of osteophytes or bone-spurring going on in my neck. In summary, they felt my neck was "too unstable" for ADR.

While I trust both Nick Boeree and Dr. Bitan when they say that I am a good candidate for ADR, I have a hard time getting past the feedback from TBI. I read something recently on one of these forums where someone who had a two-level M6 surgery is likely going to need to have them removed and fused as a result of osteophytes forming at those levels. If I already have some osteophytes, my concern is that I could be in this very same boat. However, on the other side of the coin, I worry that if I fuse these two levels now (5/6 and 6/7) I may end up with my whole neck fused at some point (which is keeping me awake at night)

Anyway, I'm sorry for the long post... but I'm just trying to sort through all of this info in my head As much as I really would prefer to have a two-level ADR with the M6, I think I am leaning toward a two-level fusion because I just worry that I might not be an ideal candidate given the amount of degeneration.

I'm curious... of those of you who have had cervical ADR's -- did you have any osteophyte formation prior to the surgery??

I also attached a recent X ray snapshot where you may be able to see what I'm talking about...

Thanks in advance for the feedback, and sorry I've been MIA for so long. Hope everyone had a great holiday and is doing well!!

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cervical x ray.jpg (92.9 KB, 38 views)
Cord compression is starting to affect my legs and movement, nerve pain has increased
Need to find a surgeon soon, hopefully not a two-level fusion