View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaseonlife View Post
I am headed out of town so not the best time to write a post.

I have not read the book (or whatever you want to call it). I don't own a copy and have not seen the cover, even. I do know that the XLIF is a surgery that NuVasive developed. I was not considering an XLIF surgery, so I have never bothered to read up on the surgery itself.

I think I read somewhere back when I was researching discs that Dr. Pimenta was head of development for the XLIF surgery. I'd need to google that, but if true, that would explain why Dr. Pimenta would have written the forward. If the book is an advertisement for the XLIF procedure, and it is published by NuVasive for potential patients considering an XLIF that uses NuVasive technologies then I don't see an issue. Again, I don't know anything about the book/advertisement/collection of papers.

I am glad that Dr. Clavel was able to rescue your spine and get you back to moving around and feeling better.

As for Dr. Pimenta still appearing on the AIMIS website, I have no clue. I will ask for some clarification on that. I agree, if he isn't participating then he needs to be removed.

The only thing I can think of (purely my own speculation here, I have ZERO proof) is that if Dr. Pimenta is paid up on his membership dues (or whatever it is called) they are contractually bound to display him on their website. If they don't, he can sue them for breech of contract. Even though he isn't holding up his end of the bargain. If AIMIS is involved with taking him to court, they still have to follow the law until a judge says otherwise. Purely my two cents, and I don't know if they are even considering such action.
He is displayed near the bottom of the list, but maybe they could feature him even less prominently.

As for scheduling surgeons and stuff, I don't know how that all works. If, however, Dr. Pimenta said he was willing to travel, and then rescheduled, and then delayed, and finally cancelled his trip, that could explain the pattern in the emails. Again, I'm not privvy to all the details and emails. It is solely my inferrance.

There are more points that need addressing, but I hear the car being packed, so I must go...
You are correct. Dr. Pimenta pioneered XLIF.

Also, I agree, if it is an advertisement, so be it. But then don't market it as "Nate's book".

There is also more in the book what sets off warning bells. The own CEO of Nuvasive put off surgery for YEARS until Dr. Pimenta sat him down at a function an told him he needed to act. Now I would see if there had been some mention of him being afraid of surgery, and "oh the irony with him being the CEO" and all that, but there was NOTHING. Just "I'm too busy." Yet the way this particular procedure is sold is "you will be up and walking the next day" and is touted for its superior recovery time. I was even told some basketball guy had his done and hopped on the plane the next day! (Those of us who have had lumbar, I'm sure, are like - on a plane the next way, WTF?!) So why, if this technology is soooooooooooooo superior, did he not just get the damn thing put in and talk to the investors like that?! "Look? Isn't it great? I had surgery two weeks ago!" Something like that.

It also turns out that the "sometimes" Dr. Pimenta operates in San Diego (or wherever down South) was a ONE TIME dispensation for him to operate on said CEO.

I see your point about the contract, and had actually thought about that. But, again, if that is the case, people like me who are asking SPECIFICALLY for him need to be told he is unavailable, not shoved a bunch of doctors who wouldn't know what to do with a triple if it hit them in the face, let alone in MY case, which was TWO triples!

Like I said, the only reason I even THOUGHT about this all is BECAUSE I had been contacted by so many people asking me if they had the same experience of asking for Dr. Pimenta, only to be blown off and sent a bunch of American doctors. Enough people, hat it was already on my mind as a possible unethical business practice. When you stop being able to count the people (other than yourself) on one hand, it is time to start thinking something may be a pattern. Especially in our community, which is so small.

I also find it very interesting that in every single story, the doctor uses THE EXACT SAME WORDS about the procedure, and the patient also almost always says the exact same thing. How many times have you EVER said "Okay Doctor. Thank you for being honest. But I trust you completely."???? Ever? I would be shocked if I got more than one yes to that. Though I DID trust Dr. Clavel completely, I never once said that. Like I said, one person? Maybe. But nearly EVERYONE in the book? Come on!

I have more. But I'd rather do better things with my time right now.

Google The Better Way Back. They will send you a free copy. I would be curious to see how many of you pick out what I picked out. But then, I am a writer and an actress, so plot holes and such literally smack me in the face.

Like the surfer chick. I want someone to get a copy of that book and tell me what is wrong with her story. And yes, I am serious. Someone please get it. There is something SOOOOOOOOOO glaringly wrong when I brought it up to my husband he couldn't believe what I told him!

Like I said, the books are free. It's an easy dumbed down read. There are a few cases in there that are heartbreaking, but so far, only a few. The rest smell rotten to me. Could just be the way the book was written too though.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.