View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 PM

Default Hello everyone -- multi level DDD in the C spine, cord compression at 5-6 and 6-7

Hello everyone,

I have been battling a slowly deteriorating neck for the past 6 years (mostly inherited, but have had some minor auto accidents and ran a marathon), and have finally reached the point where my doctors feel I must have surgery to relieve the compression on my spinal cord at C5-6 and C6-7. So far, I have seen two surgeons (Johns Hopkins and New York Presbyterian Hospital) who both recommended a two-level fusion, another (UCSF) who has recommended a hybrid surgery (fusion at 6-7 and ADR at 5-6). I've also been in touch with Dr. Bertagnoli and Dr. Fenk-Mayer, who are recommending ADR at 5-6 and 6-7 (and possibly levels above pending further x rays and EMG results) -- however, I am admittedly a little apprehensive about going overseas to have surgery, especially if I have any complications or need any type of follow-up surgery or revisions.

I also reached out to the Texas Back Institute after doing some research on here, and got some disappointing news today. Dr. Zigler and another surgeon reviewed my information and concluded that my condition was "not surgically remediable" and referred me to a local surgeon at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia (close to my home). I have an appointment with Dr. Bitan in NYC next week and am hoping to get some better news...

The compression on my spinal cord is starting to affect my legs (difficulty walking uphill, up stairs, stiff, achey and increasing amounts of nerve pain), and the surgeon I saw at UCSF told me in no uncertain terms that I need to have this surgery ASAP to relieve the compression on my spinal cord.

I guess I'm just looking for any insight you might have in terms of other possible surgeons I might be able to talk to, or any other advice or guidance you might be able to offer. I feel somewhat lost right now, but I know that I need to take action soon!

I look forward to getting to know some of you, and thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post -- or any thoughts or insight you might be able to offer.

Best regards,
Scott
Cord compression is starting to affect my legs and movement, nerve pain has increased
Need to find a surgeon soon, hopefully not a two-level fusion