View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 07:32 PM

Mark

Actually, you raise a valid point. I myself have experienced that issue once so far and I'm one of those people who think the ability to do effective searches is critical to utilization of information. Anyone else?

Juli

As I responded to Scott above, I can't see anywhere in the Profile format where there's near enough space for posting what I consider the bare minimum of information I'd like to display. If you see something I don't, please let me know, directly.

I could be getting myself into trouble here, but as to details such as sex, marital status, occupation, etc., I consider those all pertinent to the discussions in this forum. I can�t put my finger on it right now, but I have a strong suspicion that what sex one happens to be may have an important influence on varying factors bearing directly on our common problems. I know it�s not the case, certainly, with all individuals, but I see males as more inclined to physical risk, less inclined to share actual pain levels, less inclined to share emotional or psychological details which can play a huge part in creating tension and stress or relieving same. These are certainly all bound up in the use, care and health of the spine and could certainly affect outcomes. Knowing (or at least being able to make a qualified guess as to an individual�s predispositions goes a long way towards forming a more complete picture of that individual as relates to assessing their particular input into any forum. Personal support systems (wife/husband/family/friends), or lack of same, play a huge part in all our lives, and knowing whether someone is alone or has day to day help with their condition goes a long way towards understanding that individual�s situation. Knowing one�s occupation is certainly important and relevant. I as a sailmaker spend an inordinate amount of time on my knees and bending over to do work on the floor, not to mention other jobs I perform which are related to my profession like climbing masts, sailing in all sizes of boats in all weather conditions, etcetera. My job differs completely from someone who is a computer programmer, a combat soldier, a proam tennis star, a single mom with two small kids, a beautician, a retired country gentleman, etc.. Knowing what one does for a living or how one spends one day, physically and mentally goes a long way towards helping to understand what that person is going through, what they lost and are trying to get back and perhaps why they�re where they are now.

I totally understand the reticence of some members to post what may seem like very personal and potentially threatening information and I always respect and consider first the individual�s right to privacy and security. If an individual chooses to not make all their details public, there should certainly be no stigma attached... I can think of several reasons why someone would choose not to mention specifics of their case, especially if it is ongoing and the outcome might be affected by publicly posted information transmitted to the wrong individual. Of course, the converse is also true, which is why I�ve always tried to be as forthcoming about personal information as possible. Knowledge and truth are power, and trust is often built out of openness and a willingness to share what is considered most private and valuable. I�ve seen a lot of that on this forum; I�m simply trying to codify it so it�s easier to decipher and quantify.

The more I think about it, the better Biff's idea sounds... ;-)

Years of pain, discectomy, research into anatomy, hardware, clinical trials, facilities, surgeons, techniques, insurance. Attempts at ProDisc, Activ-L trials. Now, low bone density. D'oh!!!

At 61 years, no longer qualifying for trials due to my age (chronological, not physical or mental).

2009 - Working on improving bone density or getting rich so I can go to Germany, where medicine and insurance have gone beyond the Stone Age.