View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 AM

Default More advice about Europe....

for future overseas travelers, a few bits of advice:
1. DEFINITELY request wheelchair service at the airport!!! you will breeze right through checkpoints and the lady flagged down a skycap to handle my luggage in customs. had a letter from Dr Clavel about my lifting restriction of 10kg, but they never even asked for anything like that. i will caveat that if you have a tight connection,

2. i can also highly recommend getting Envoy or similar seats if you can - US Airways has Airbus 330-200 aircraft w/ 180 lay flat seats on certain route including LHR and BCN. the BCN flight is only on the weekends though, i THINK. i called TWICE to make sure i had what i wanted to pay for. the lay flat was priceless in both directions - discogenic pain on the way there, and incision soreness/muscle spasms on the way back. sitting is still what i'm least able to tolerate.
- you go right in that short line to check in -- not an issue in the US but in BCN that line was outrageous. i would have been miserable standing in that line w/ my luggage!!!
- 2 free checked bags, flagged priority to get offloaded sooner
- first class on domestic legs - usually nice and wide, more access to overhead bins and help from flight attendants
- i had the same wonderful flight attendant both ways for the BCN leg. checked on me frequently when i alerted her to my pain and need for scheduled meds on the way over (needed to time some before meal), then asked if i was ok a lot on the way back. will definitely be sending a happy gram to US Airways about her.
- fed very well so i didn't have to scramble for food in the airport, plus free alcohol if that'll help you relax (i didn't drink much b/c on nsaid and lovenox, plus i feel funky when i drink while taking cymbalta and zanaflex)
- "bed" is plenty long but not necessarily wide - i'm 5'8" so definitely liked to stretch out. nearly everyone in the cabin appeared to be asleep and/or comfortable when i was up walking around.
- power plug and USB power port right at your seat to power your toys/gadgets
- another pillow and blanket waiting for you when you get on the plane - i brought my own as well to position myself as best i could.
- more room to stand/walk around/stretch

3. wheeled carryon luggage is a must for the way home. i had to go to the "china store" in BCN to get a cheap rolling backpack, b/c i didn't do this. was willing to tough certain things out on the way over and didn't plan as well for the trip back when things are at risk. if you go to Spain and need cheap crap like that - ask for the nearest "tienda de Chinos". (sounds like a racial slur sort of, but it was definitely the answer for cheap household items!!! other stores were SO overpriced - in the major dept store in Spain, El Corte Ingles... the prices looked familiar, 'cept that they were in EUROS not usd!)

4. most meds in europe are CHEAP - bring more expensive/harder to find ones, but most things seemed to be cheaper even than a copay back here (mine is $10 for generics)! think 30 diazepam for 2-3 euros ($3-4) and 40 500mg naproxen for 4 euro ($6). so were dressings for my wound. just show the pharmacist your current bandage, and they'll come out w/ something similar. much harder to find and more expensive in the US, for sure.

5. beds in europe are HARD - no conforming to your body at all. it was my experience and had heard it from others. i should have just brought an eggcrate from here, b/c i couldn't find one there despite asking around several places

6. food in europe is EXPENSIVE, and finding an american style breakfast is very hard and would have cost waaay too much for what i'd imagine would be a very mediocre job (used to GREAT breakfast as I am a native southerner). did breakfast in daily and a few other meals in as well.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.