View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 09:49 AM

Default New here... and researching...

Hi everyone! I'm new here and doing A LOT of research. My Dr had said a couple years ago that ADR might be a solution down the road if they came out with better implants. Well, it looks like those are coming out now (hopefully). I have had two discectemies in the last 5 years. Here's my story if you want to read on...

In May of 2004 I was studying for finals to graduate college and started having lower back pain. No injury that I know of, and at first wrote it off as stress due to finals. I didn't really think about how it was my lower back and not my shoulders. When it didn't go away I went to my Primary Care Dr. He put me on Flexerel and 2.5 Loritabs. That didn't work so he sent me to PT. I went through my graduation drugged up. PT was making me worse and I was crying everytime I left. They scheduled an MRI for me. On Memorial day that year I was getting out of the shower, bent over to dry my legs off and shooting pain went through my back. I was holding myself up by my arms and couldn't stand. By that afternoon I was admitted through the ER to the hospital. They did the MRI the next day and showed my disc was herniated at L4/L5 and by that Friday having surgery (discectemy). I couldn't even sit up in the bed until after the surgery. It was amazing! I could get up and walk, full recovery.

Jump to 2 yrs later, October 2005, I start having radiating pain down my left side. PT helped some and epidurals a little. MRI showed the same disc, L4/L5 was herniated again and the epidurals helped me last a couple months until I could get my vacation built up to supliment my STD. I had another Discectemy (January 2, 2007), with the assurance from my doctor I would still be a candidate in the future for an ADR. that post-op was horrible. Worse pain afterward than before, they nicked a nerve sack and I had a spinal headache for 3 days. I was in the hospital for a week.

Another 2 yrs, radiating pain started down left side again. I've been through PT and epidurals again, ended in December. Now pain is going down both sides, and my legs and ankles are starting to feel weak (almost like I've taken a long walk without the aching muscles). My feet and legs are going to sleep easily, but I'm not sure if that's from my back or from the Topamax I'm taking for Migrains. The other day I had two large muscle spasms, and I hadn't had those since after my second surgery. I'm scared. I have an appointment for an MRI Monday with and without contrast and then my appointment with my surgeon is May 11th. I know he'll say surgery, but I'm just not sure what to do. I'm pretty sure there isn't a ADR surgeon in this area (Louisville, KY) and I don't have the money out of pocket anyway. I know I'll have to try to get the insurance to cover it. I just really want to try to get a "normal" life back. I'm 30 and do NOT want a fusion. I just want to try the ADR first... even if it goes wrong, I want to at least try it. I don't want to regret not at least trying it. It's just so frustrating. Especially doing all this research and not able to talk to the Dr yet since the appointments are all scheduled a month out!

just venting....

on a side note.... I blaim my best friends mom for all my surgeries.

When I was 18 I got a "tramp stamp" and showed her. She had back surgery before and the first thing out of her mouth? "You better hope you never have to have back surgery"

They've actually done very good with not messing up my tattoo though
MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"
May 11th Dr Apptment - Told that another Discsectemy could be done.

Looking for Surgeon for second Opinion