View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 08:33 PM

Someone asked if "self-insured" matters? Yes, it does. Basically your employer holds a pool of money and has an insurance company like UHC to administer it. In the state of Texas, it means that the Department of Insurance has no authority over any complaints you might have. If your plan is self-insured, I would suggest that you get a copy of the Summary Plan Document from your employer. It is the agreement between employer and insurance company. Contact your employer for a copy. You may have to pay a fee for printing, but they cannot deny you access to it. It's not very interesting to read, but you may find some things that will help. A very nice man at DePuy suggested I do this. You may find you have some rights under ERISA. I am hoping it will be helpful to us.

Yukon, when did you see Dr. Guyer? When we talked to him in November, I think, he was not optimistic about UHC. Hopefully, you have seen him since then and things have changed.

I am Kristi's mom, and we haven't won the battle, but I would also encourage everyone to document, document, document. I mean keep a notebook or whatever works for you, and keep track of everything you do, and when you talk to someone from the insurance co. or dr. office, write down the date, the name of who you talked to, and what was said. If you don't catch the name, ask them for it. Your notes will really come in handy during your fight for insurance.

Good luck to all.