View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 06:39 AM

Default well

I always believe that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

My opinion is that we are in trouble. The fact is the rate of growth of health care spending in the United States is unsustainable. If we do not control health care costs, we will not have any money for anything but health care costs. That means no police, firemen, etc...

We spend more than any other country, and yet our mortality rates are not better. The latest is that the US is spending about 16 percent of its Gross Domestic Product (GDP) on health care. Yet our life expectancy ranks around 50th in the world (wikepedia, et al)

Insurance companies are not in business to keep us healthy. The insurance companies are beholden to their shareholders. Blue Cross, my insurance, keeps raising the money that they demand from my husband and I and decreasing reimbursement rates. Co-pays are increasing also. They cover what they want to cover and mess up on what they pay all the time. I have to call them this week because they must have "forgot" that one of my doctors is in-network.

Our system is seriously broken, and IMHO. the status quo will not suffice any longer.