View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 03:58 PM

Default Rajakumar

Jarrod -
I see JSS sent you a link to my blog. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Rajakumar to perform the surgery. I do agree with Harrison, though, that there are numerous risks to having surgery outside of the country...and there are risks that are specific to India. Harrison mentioned NDM-1 (or the New Dehli Superbug). I believe this has only been traced back to northern India, but it is certainly something to ask Dr. Raj about (you should definitley set up a call with him personally). Also I would not go through a medical tourism company. You can arrange everything yourself, and I think it would be cheaper and I think you may actually be in a BETTER position to advocate for yourself once you are there. I have been meaning to write a blog entry about the risks that anyone should consider before going overseas. As an attorney, it was difficult to give up my right to sue in case the doctor is negligent in some way. However, in the grand scheme, I think the risk of negligence is low - and in the case of medical tourism to India, it may even be lower than in other situations since, I believe, the docs will be extra careful as each patient from overseas is a walking advertisement for their hospital (it certainly doesn't hurt to let them know as soon as you arrive that you are doing a blog about the whole experience).

As for my outcome, it has been very good in terms of relieving symptoms that I had prior to surgery, and I am progressing nicely. However, I did set up follow up visits with a surgeon here in Charlotte prior to going overseas. And that has been a life-saver. I have had a few episodes of pain or discomfort that really freaked me out. It has given me peace of mind to be able to get x-rays and have them analyzed right here in Charlotte. My discs were placed well, and have remained in the same spot despite my best efforts to knock them loose.

I may actually have some facet joint inflamation. I will get a CT-Scan tomorrow to verify. Be sure that you have the surgeons (whoever they are) do a CT-scan and check to see if you have problems with facet joints. NONE of the surgeons I went to prior to my surgery checked this. Not sure if it would have affected their decision to recommend ADR or not, but nobody ever mentioned it.

I PMed my phone #. Feel free to call for more info.