View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 PM

When my daughter was in pastry school, I took the ServSafe class with her.
It was a really interesting class and it really opens your eyes as to food safety.
One thing that surprised me was the Chef asking us students what is one food that makes people sick the most? The answer...was rice!
It's hard to keep rice at the proper temperature, especially in restaurants because it gets mushy when over cooked and people complain, so they leave it at a temperature that easily breeds bacteria. What you catch from rice is called Bacillus cereus.
Check out the link below to read about it:

Bacillus cereus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After taking this class, there were two foods that stood out to be very careful of.
One was rice, and the other...oysters. I only eat rice at home and I don't do oysters!

Oysters (from Wikipedia):

Oysters can contain harmful bacteria. Oysters are filter feeders and will naturally concentrate anything present in the surrounding water. Oysters from the Gulf Coast of the United States, for example, contain high bacterial loads of human pathogens in the warm months, most notably Vibrio vulnificus and Vibrio parahaemolyticus. In these cases, the main danger is for immuno-compromised individuals, who are unable to fight off infection and can succumb to septicemia, leading to death. Vibrio vulnificus is the most deadly seafood-borne pathogen, with a higher case-to-death ratio than even Salmonella enterica and Escherichia coli.

The chef teaching this class about food safety said there is no such thing as a 24 hour bug/flu.
He said this is food poisoning. It can take hours to 7 days depending on what kind of bacteria/virus you ate for the
symptoms to show themselves.

I learned a lot in this class and it is so important to wash your hands, and keep things at the proper temperature.
Some states have website where you can look up any restaurant and see their health code violations.
Google website that shows restaurant food violations and look for your state.

We looked up alot of places we ate at....some we don't visit any longer...LOL

Another great website is:
http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

Sorry, got off topic a bit but this just reminded me of the class I took and how ill you can
become by things we never think about or knew about.