Thread: Hello Everyone!
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Default Hello Everyone!

Thanks for the forum Harrison!
Thanks for all the posts I'm getting overwhelmed by the huge amount of content.

History:
I am a 53 year old male, pole vaulted and landed on my head a good bit as a kid. Lots of chiropractic over the years to deal with a periodic nerve pinching at C-6/7. Then had herniations and searing pain in Dec 2012 from C-3/4-C-6/7. The worst were the two bottom discs. Inspired by the golfer Davis Love III, that led to a two level ACDF in March of 2013. Two separate docs recommended that and leaving the two not so healthy discs above alone. Lots of relief, got much of my feeling and strength back to my triceps and left side. No more pain!

Then woke up with a stiff neck in November 2013 which led to a new MRI showing a new herniation at C-4/5 and barely being able to raise my left arm. Since then I have seen Dr. Theofilos in Palm Beach Gardens who has been part of an FDA trial for ADR. He seemed the most likely surgeon in my area. He said I was probably not a candidate for ADR at that level. I asked why and he said it would relieve my pain to my left arm but I would then have neck pain because the disc had already collapsed. Huh?

So after initially suggesting another fusion at C-4/5 he would probably also want to fuse C-3/4 as well (making 4 levels of fusion). He said there was to many bone spurs at C-3/4 with too much bone work taking them off making that level not a candidate for ADR. After talking he volunteered that he might fuse C-3/4 and ask his other disc guys their opinion on my level C-4/5 for ADR.

I go see the doc who did my fusion on 12/23 and it will be interesting to see what he says. I trust him a lot. I originally got two separate recommendations for him from a friend who has known him since he was in grade school and a colleague who was turned on to him by a nerve monitoring sales manager who said he was the best surgeon in FL. Anyway - wondering which way to go and who to talk to further, knowing I have a time bomb in my neck and shoulder not wanting to wait too long with this weakness before I decide what to do.

Any suggestions would be welcome - thanks for this forum - it is a godsend!
Considering surgery soon to relieve a weak left shoulder/bicep from new herniation
Live in Paradise - Near West Palm Beach, FL