View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 07:45 PM

Hi Gene and Kelly,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I had to switch insurances to get this two-level mobi c surgery covered 100 percent. Anthem denied it but United approved it. It is nice to read about everybody's progress/experience here on this board. I am doing pretty well so far. I am on about half the pain medicine/muscle relaxers they prescribed me.

My surgeon is Dr. Vikas Patel. I picked him because of his experience in doing two-level ADRs for a long time. He did his residency under hyun bae. He is the chief spine ortho surgeon at University Hospital in Denver and has published a lot of studies and outcomes of his research. He is impeccable in his approach but a bit on the strict side for rehab. I read on here about one fella who was allowed to go back to the gym right away. Patel wants me walking two miles every day but he has me in a pretty stiff brace with full thoracic support that I have to wear 24/7 for six weeks. No lifting over 10 lbs, no laundry (I like that part), no driving for a few weeks etc...

Patel does say I can ski/climb 14ers and do all the stuff I love after 12 weeks. But he is strict for the 12 weeks.

How are both of you doing? I hope you are feeling well and hopeful for a healthy and active future.

Attaching one picture of my neck that was taken about one week after surgery. Don't know why it is upside down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADR day 7 recovery.jpg (93.8 KB, 33 views)
C6-C7
Lifelong runner, skier, and mountaineer, plenty of falls skiing/mountaineering
Pain started in my 20s
Dx with tendonitis in my forearms in 20s
Neck and shoulder pain worsened in late 30s
Did chiro, accupuncture, spinal injections, dry needling, medication, CBD tinctures, traditional physical therapy
When those therapies no longer helped enough, I decided to go for ADR