View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 05:02 PM

How does cannabis use affect the spine? I know alot of medical marijuana patients use cannabis to relieve the pain and alot of them smoke it as opposed to using a tincture, or a food. Smoking cannabis may help relieve the pain, but could smoking cannabis have the same adverse affect that nicotine does on the disk cells? Of course the least safest way to use cannabis is to smoke it. Since there is alot of misinformation about medical marijuana, I wonder if spine patients are smoking cannabis thinking it is OK? If a spine patient chooses to use medical marijuana, I personally think they should be eating it or using a tincture given the dangers of inhaling smoke. New Jersey may be passing a medical marijuana law and I think alot of people with back pain will turn to cannabis while not being informed of the issues concerning smoking it.

Does cannabis smoking deprive disc cells of nutrients like nicotine smoking does?

I know each illness is different. For example, there are alot of cancer patients that prefer not to eat cannabis because they are throwing up all the time so eating anything would be a waste. A friend of mine with cancer was prescribed Marinol but he was constantly throwing up so the pill never stayed down. He finally got his appetite back by using a cannabis tincture that he squirted under the tongue.

I knew a MS patient who preferred smoking it to loosen up her stiff arms & legs quickly.

Back patients who use cannabis should probably not be smoking it.

Does using a cannabis vaporizer affect the spine since there is no smoke? Is a vaporizer safe for spine patients?
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1 tear)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC