View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Default In need of advice

Hello fellow back sufferers,
I am the mother of two that is desperate to get back a normal life. I have a herniated disc at the L4-5 that I have been putting on bandades for the last 5 years with epidurals, PT, accupunture, drugs and lots of yoga.
I had a discectomy/laminectomy a year ago. After PT i was able to work out 45 mins of cardio and even added weights back in. It only lasted 6 weeks. I once again started suffering from intense lower back pain, sciatica and leg weakness on the same side. I was lucky if i could get a half hour walk in. I have now graduated to very intense pain on both sides of my lower back with very intense sciatic nerve pain now down my Right side.
the MRI shows an 8mm bulge on the right and some scarring from the previous surgery.
My dr. at Kerlin Jobe recommended spinal fusion. when i asked about disc replacement he said they rarely do it and that it was not covered by my insurance. he also said that i was not a candidate because i have retrolithesis.
Today I saw a dr. at the Watkins institute who said it looks like i need to have another discectomy on the right side. I told him that i was reluctant because the last one didnt work very well. I asked him about the retrolithesis and he said it was so slight that he didnt even mention it on the report, nor did the radiologist that did the MRI.
I have submitted my MRI and Xray to Ritter-Lang, Bertagnoli and the XL Nuvasive TDR study. Got any advice for a desperate mom that taking way too much medication???
thanks!!
2010 extreme sciatica
2010 discectomy/laminectomy
2011 extreme lower back pain sciatica on both sides but more on the right.
taking dicloflonic, soma and hydrocodone
NuVasive clinical trial with Dr. Eric Spayde
10-21-2011 XL TDR surgery anterior incision right side
With discectomy revision on left side