View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM

Victoria,

What a terrible story! Condolences on your condition, and welcome! There is a lot of lumbar experience here for you and great bunch of people that are happy to share their experiences.

Retrolisthesis is a contra-indication for ADR. I believe that many ADR manufacturers publish a limit of retrolisthesis for which their device can be safely used. I want to say that most are in the 2-3mm range? Before having ADR I would strongly encourage you to thoroughly vet the implant you use for its performance in patients with retrolisthesis. As you are interviewing potential ADR surgeons, I would encourage you to quiz them thoroughly on their knowledge/observations/experience of ADR in those with retrolisthesis. A failed ADR can be a life altering and life-long debilitating condition.

As you are willing to go overseas for surgery, there are three surgeons overseas surgeons that I would highly recommend that you consider (with special attention to their experience with ADR/retrolisthesis)...

• Pablo Clavel, Barcelona, Spain - Highly experienced in practice and research, turns out a steady stream of successful outcomes, and gave me my life back on Nov 25, 2009.
  • Nick Boeree, Hampshire, England - Highly experienced, turns out a steady stream of successful outcomes, and I've never seen an ill word posted about him.
  • Luiz Pimenta, Sao Paulo, Brazil - Highly experienced, turns out a steady stream of successful outcomes, and is profusely cited by his peers in scientific literature. A bonus for you, (consider this a rumor), I have heard that he periodically practices in southern California. (so potentially no trans-continental flights required)

Nan has mentioned Dr Zeegers. He also turns out a steady stream of successful outcomes, and it is very unusual to come across a bad outcome had at his hands. He would be worth your consideration as well.

Be aware that surgery overseas is replete with risks that you don't have in the US.

• No protection by the US legal system is there is a problem
  • You are required to pay at the time of service if there are complications
  • Getting back home if you come out of surgery worse than when you went in could be problematic and expen$ive
  • It can be difficult to find followup care from US ADR surgeons once you've returned home

You have a long road of research ahead of you. I would encourage you to take no one's word for anything; research for yourself everything that you are told. Possibly the most useful research tool at your disposal is the surgical outcomes posted in various spine forums.

Good luck!

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011