View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I went to see Dr. Eric Spayde who is participating in the Nuvasive clinical trial. He also does a few ADR's a month using the prodisc.

He did an in depth eval and looked at both my MRI and Xray and said he would recommend ADR. I asked him about the retrolithesis and he said

DEL.TEXT

I am feeling optomistic and excited
You had a good dialogue with the surgeon, thumbs up.

Stay optimistic. I think from earlier reading the results post-surgery are tied to physical and mental/psychological well-being pre-surgery. Realistic expectations about outcomes help also (recovery time, etc.). The co-existing medical conditions are a powerful preopertative prognostic factor for clinical outcomes with surgical treatment. I am glad you are on a good path, thumbs up.

ref: transperitoneal or a retroperitoneal, see Archives of Surgery AMA
The Open Anterior Paramedian Retroperitoneal Approach for Spine Procedures - LINK

"Conclusion

Open retroperitoneal exposure to the lumbar and lumbosacral vertebral bodies can be performed safely with a multidisciplinary approach that maximizes the various surgical skills of the orthopedic and vascular or general surgeon, reducing complication rates in anterior spinal surgery."

Dr. Yue Yale University is one of the authors. I believe all authors of the above are from Yale. Dr. Yue is a researcher (?) or listed with Dr. Garcia of Florida on many Aesculap Activ-L FDA clinical trial documents.

Ideally the surgeon moves the great vessels around as little as possible. Some vessel movement must be made and I think many surgeons use adhesion barriers (clinicaltrials.gov etc).

see also, TMI (too much information)
http://www.orthobullets.com/approaches/12004/retroperitoneal-anterolateral-approach-to-the-lumbar-spine