View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 AM

tman,

Welcome! I have a couple of cervical fusions and a couple more M6's, so I can address a few of your questions.

I have seen people that suffered with disc problems for many years without undergoing surgery. Sometimes there's no problem (other than years of pain), sometimes the vertebrae autofuse, and sometimes permanent loss of sensory and/or motor occurs. In hopes of avoiding those issues many people elect to have surgery sooner than later. I don't believe there's a one size fits all answer.

I didn't know that retaining the PLL was possible after the disc was removed. Because stenosis is sometimes caused by hypertrophy of that ligament, I'd want to query the surgeon asking if manipulating during fusion/adr surgery and then retaining it increases the probability of that problem in the future. I don't know the answer, but it sounds like a reasonable question.

I have two M6's, courtesy of Dr Pablo Clavel in Barcelona, Spain. I am nearing the first anniversary of their implantation. I have no physical limitations and can't say enough for my M6's (C3/4 and C6/7).

Good luck!

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011