View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 12:27 PM

Default New member - considering adr

Hi everyone, good morning,

My name is Chris Sturr and I recently joined as of today. Like many of you I am struggling with chronic back pain. I am 49-year old male.

In 2011 I herniated my L5/S1 with several annular tears causing joint pain, lower limb weakness and the onset of neurological pain radiating down both legs. As a result my life as I knew it and active lifestyle took a turn for the worse.

After having managing my condition through PT, Yoga, core strengthening, Regenokine, inversion therapy and cortisone injections I have progressed to the point where surgery is my next-and-only option. The disc is degenerated to the point it looks like a black flat pancake on my most recent MRI. For the past four months I have been meeting with orthopedic spine surgeons and neurosurgeons. I have been told my only two options are: ALIF or and ADR using the ActivL from Aesculap Implant Systems.

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have been told I am a great candidate for ADR since it is only one level and I meet all the other conditions set forth by the insurance company. Unfortunately they continue to deny my claim for coverage, so I am in a battle with them too. I have read the studies and I understand the risks associated with each procedure, but I am inclined to get the ADR given the positive outcomes and reduction in ASD and future surgeries because of the preservation of motion in the back.

Thank you for your time and input.
Chris