View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 03:19 PM

For that 9 hour drive, are you doing the driving or are you being a passenger?

that is what i think will be the biggest factor for you. Aslo, have you asked your surgeon about this? They will ultimately be the best advice. for my lumbar surgery I was initially told i wouldn't be allowed to drive myself anywhere for 2-3 months post-op, i guess because of the chance of crash messing things up. i wound up being given the go-ahead at 3 weeks but didn't feel comfortable enough until closer to 6 weeks.

I'm not sure how it differs for cervical patients with regards to the driving issue, but I know I was barely able to drive myself even short distances at 5 weeks post op. I could spend about an hour in the drivers seat before my back got really irritated and most of the time insisted on being a passenger so I could recline. You may be able to do it if your recovery goes smoothly enough, but I would imagine it'd still be a push in terms of your stamina for doing much of anything. It's amazing how much the body can atrophy in terms of general stamina in those first few weeks post-op. I went and visited my coworkers around 5 weeks post-op and was absolutely wiped out by mid-afternoon.

hope this helps.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!