View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 02:12 PM

Default Seriously considering 2 level Lumbar ADR in Germany

Hi, I'm a 37 year old active mother, wife, and occupational therapist. My husband is a physical therapist. We have been researching relentlessly (mainly me and passing on info. to my husband) since my spine surgery (2 level ADR at L3/L4, L4/L5 or hybrid (ADR and fusion) was cancelled on Jan. 15, 2015 when the very final nurse caught that I had a possible nickel allergy (b/c I break out to cheap jewelry and rivets on waist of jeans) to the fact that the ProDisc might have nickel in it (0.03% as an alloy). I was NOT screened for metal allergies at the surgeon's office.

I had formal metal implant patch allergy testing 2 weeks ago and I have confirmed allergies to: Nickel (2+), Pallidium Chloride, Tungsten, & Silvre Nitrate (1+). The ProDisc is automatically out and so is the MobyDisc, even thought my surgeon said he could use it "off-label" possibly (it also has nickel). The only lumbar ADR I have found compatible with my allergies is the M6 made by spinal kinetics which is not fda approved yet in the U.S. & I can't find any clinical trials in the U.S. for the Lumbar spine. Dr. Bierstedt at the ONZ spine surgical group in Germany has reviewed my case & says I'm an excellent candidate for the 2 level ADR procedure. Dr. Bertagnoli primarily uses the Prodisc as far as I know so I have ruled him out.

Any feedback/advice for me? Thanks so much, this is an amazing online community to be a part of. I have already ordered the ADR video. The spine surgeon in the U.S. has told me my only option now is a 2 level spinal fusion given the level of degeneration I have going on. My pain is considered to be discogenic and mechanical/axial and I have minimal (if any) nerve impingement.
Discography-Sept. 2014
L3/L4: Moderate-Severe DDD, annular tear, 3 leaks, reactive endplate changes, osteophytes, mod.height loss, no disc signal.
L4/L5: Mod.DDD, large annular tear, no disc signal. Posterior leak into spinal canal.
Metal Allergies: Nickel plus 3 others
Cancelled 2 level ADR or hybrid surgery -1/15/15
37 year old active mom