View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 12:57 AM

I don't think the OP would mind because id say I'm probably lumped into the same boat as the majority of the people on this site..
Quote:
I feel like the damaged discs are the root of the problem which are causing the facets to build bone because of abnormal loading and sheering over time
Yes, the damaged discs have definitely accelerated the degenerative process...Problem is I had a disco at L4-L5 in 1996...Even though I kept myself in pretty good shape, guess which facet is the worst? L4-L5 on the right side...
Quote:
Is it possible the unloading the facets could create more foraminal space and possibly stop bone growth in the facets
Of course, but in my case the damage has been done at L4-L5..My gnarled up, overused facet joint cant remove the bone that's already been created..
An ADR at that level would increase the disc height but how would my body adjust?...IMO, common sense tells me no to an ADR at L4/5 and a surgeon looking at an MRI cant diagnose that...
Quote:
If I remember correctly you had some successful blocks or ablations?
Yes, I needed to find out if my facets were problematic before I continued down the ADR path..I know my body and know that my facets on my right side were always getting caught or locked up...I constantly needed to self adjust and open up my right side to pop them..I had constant sharp pinching and a dull aching on my right side...Shots to the 2 bottom right facets took away the pinching..Second set confirmed and I had the rhizotomy in July for right side facets..
In a nutshell my hunch was correct in that my facets were a major pain generator but not the only source..I continue to have episodic muscle spasms that have prevented me from standing up straight since July..
I believe that im working and stressing my facets more than ever now because I havnt been protecting them since the rhizotomy..Im having spasms on my left side also which I never had before...
Quote:
What's the long term outlook on those treatments? Tough spot to be in hopefully your best option isn't fusion
Well, im not going overseas to get cut in a strange country with absolutely no recourse if anything goes wrong..
I have a steep sacral slope and don't believe after much research on the subject that ADR at L5-S1 is an option for me..
I'm looking at accepting a 2 level fusion in the very near future..While some may frown on this decision or even argue it, I feel this is my best option to give this 44 year old after 20 years of this back pain sh*t a chance at a normal life..
Im not looking to run a marathon, nor lift a ton of weights at the gym or play fullcourt basketball...
If L3-L4 goes because of the fusion ill deal with it then when the Activ L is FDA approved...I got it all planned out
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy