View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 12:04 PM

Tort reform is a nice concept for the insurance companies. As typical the insurance companies are behind tort reform. They have duped the American public with the McDonald's case. Most people who sue are trying to recuperate costs. My accident, where a neighbor's dog collided with my bicycle, cost me $74,000 out of pocket. This money was taken out of my retirement account and, will be the difference between me working until I am dead, vs., having some money for my retirement. If people are allowed to act without impunity and, the insurance companies are allowed not to have to pay, many will have no recourse at all. I don't think, if you are injured in an accident, that you would not want to be able to collect some damages. The insurance companies are behind tort reform. They are getting incredibly wealthy and wish to continue getting more. I will agree with tort reform in class action lawsuits. This is where companies are forced to shell out millions of dollars in attorney fees while the supposed victims (you and me) get a $1.00 off of our next purchase.

Your other issue of health care insurance is also questionable. As an employer I pay $9,000 for single - $14,000 for family per year. Most of my employees are unable to save this kind of money in health savings accounts. I do give them the opportunity to have a health savings account through AFLAC and regular AFLAC insurances for cancer, disability, hospitalization, etc. I think the biggest cost increase will be the obese and morbidly obese people in this country along with lifestyle choices. People who smoke, excessive use of alcohol, lack of good nutrition, lack of exercise, etc. Also, uninsured and under-insured Americans are driving up the costs. I am 51 years old, 179 lbs which is ideal body weight, 16.8% body fat, don't drink, don't
smoke, don't use illicit substances, and watch what I eat and, regularly exercise. I am a heart attack waiting to happen though as, my triglycerides are over 500 and cholesterol over 300 with a 7 -1 ration. I am on two medications that cost me $100.00 per month in co-pays to pay for each month for my maintenance. I would not be able to afford these meds without the benefit package I have. Plus my Blue Cross came through and did pay for my 4 level ADR surgery after all was said and done though they denied it twice.

If you figure out how to solve the health care crisis in this country you can get rich. Most politicians have been sitting with the pink elephant in the living room for years without tackling the huge problem that is going to occur when us baby boomers retire and live to ripe old ages. I get sick of tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans imaginable while the poor get their programs cut and we are talking about limiting benefit programs for the middle-class. God forbid that we should make people who make a little more, pay a little more. We are our brother's keepers. Pay me now or, build more prisons. Either way, we pay. Train people to work to get them off of welfare or, keep them on welfare. Either way we pay. Get people out of poverty or, have them take from the haves. Either way we pay. There are no easy answers.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5