View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 10:48 AM

I don't believe in insurance. It's a scam just like the banking interest system. It's all about making money out of nothing. I think the easiest way to push for universal healthcare like canada is to adopt the german system. It's not perfect and requires everyone to pay insurance pre-tax (unless you earn enough and you can opt out), but at least citizens could visit a doctor instead of waiting until it's too late and be forced to walk into an emergency room like in the USA. I think we also need to study the story how Canada's healthcare system came about. The CBC created a docu-drama called:

CBC_Prairie_Giant_The_Tommy_Douglas_Story

Tommy Douglas faced an uphill battle just like we are and he still fought off the extreme capitalists to create Canada's universal healthcare system. It was no easy task for him.

Grumpy made a good point, we are all paying for one another's insurance in some fashion. However, I believe with proper oversight in the medical community, we wouldn't have hospitals and doctor's billing the daylight out of the insurance companies. We also wouldn't have insurance companies determining who should get treated and who shouldn't. That was a large topic covered in Michael Moore's movie Sicko. Sicko was a bit sensationalist, but it did cover the truth using extreme circumstances. Under normal circumstances you and I are the one's getting shafted because like terry stated critical care isn't allowed until every treatment option is prescribed.

I also have to laugh at the treatment options for spine care. Anyone can tell you the run up to operation is the time your spine takes a turn for the worse. All it can take is 6-12 months and there's a possibility your options for minimal surgery can change to invasive. Also uninsured people who would be able to see a spine doctor 5-10 years earlier may be able to hold off surgery another 10-15 years because an MRI would have revealed a herniated disc.The patient then would undergo PT and be made aware not to participate in high impact activities.

There's umpteen reasons for a universal healthcare.

Prodisc St. Mary's 12/2006 not diagnosed properly pre-op and now have DDD L4/L5, facet calcification L5-S1/L4-L5, mild scoliosis and left knee pain. DDD: C3 through C6