View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM

How did it go? It didn't.

I got a "third" opinion from another surgeon with a good rep. It was his opinion that an ADR wasn't the option he would choose to repair my damage. In fact, he gave me a "less than 4 in 10 chance" that my pain situation would improve from an ADR. His recommendation was a fusion to completely stabilize the affected area. he believes that my facet joint is also contributing to the pain generation and a stabilization would have a greater chance at success.

This surgeon performs both types of surgeries, has an excellent reputation as well as the first surgeon. I struggled with what to do for about a week. Then I cancelled the ADR surgery. I can't in good conscience go forward when there are competing theories from solid, respected surgeons as to the best course of action.

Ironically, Surgeon #2 agreed with Surgeon #1 that I do need an ADR in my neck. For some reason my Insurance company denied this surgery, I'm currently appealing their decision. Neither surgeon can believe that my Insurance approved the lumbar replacement and denied the cervical replacement....apparently that is exactly opposite of how most insurance companies operate. The only theory is that the Cervical replacement is due to a car accident and my health insurance isn't willing to front the money when they know there is an "at fault" insurance company.

I may just have to wait until the arm-wrestling with the auto insurance is finished to get the surgical care I need.

None the less, I still have decisions to make regarding my low back, my health insurance company is willing to extend it's approval of the ADR surgery to give me some time.

Bottom line? I think I know less now than I did a month ago......

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"