View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 06:48 PM

Default The medical "magic 8 ball"

Recap:
I didnt care for the Hershey docs who recommended an ADR.
For the full story on that it was more like two opinions. First the old timer (C. Schaiberger) that doesn't operate anymore said they will just clean out the spur. When the operating doc (M. Sather) came in he said the disc will be removed. The old timer then deferred to the op doc.
So I tracked down the guy that did my L5-S1 only to find out that he doesn't believe in ADR's.
Then I went to a doc I found with all the credentials one could imagine.
Update:
He (Walter C. Peppelman Jr.) wanted to send me to pain management
So my family doc sent me for an EMG tiebreaker. I have nerve damage. (I have been telling people that since 2005 but after spending a few thou on inconclusive tests I gave up!)

I made an appointment with the doc that does not like ADRs thinking maybe I just need the bone spur removed. (I'm running out of docs I trust.)

And I have arranged for my MRI reading to be looked at by Dr. Balderston. I am waiting for his office to call back.

Does anyone know what criteria a doc looks for in deciding if a cervical bone spur will result in an ADR (or fusion)? The medical "magic 8 ball" right? (If you are under 40 don't even try to figure out that comment )
UPDATE: No doc since the first surgeon has recommended an ADR. It now looks like I am up for another microdiscectomy / foraminotomy
I'm certain I am not the last for such a diagnosis change so we can all still learn from each others experiences!