View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 05:18 PM

Default Very helpful

Thanks. I knew from all of my research to expect distraction issues, it was just the lack of a successful treatment that surprised me. I'm staying the course with walking, icy hot and valium for a few days to see if that works.

The 2nd issue is somewhat embarrassing to me, what with being a doctor and all. I bumped into a friend who broke her arm skiing a few days ago. She was told not to take NSAIDs for the pain as they inhibit bone growth. She was asking my opinion on that and my advice. I professed my ignorance. I stumbled on something similar a few hrs. later by accident while checking on the leg cramp issue.

What a dilemma. Mild pain doesn't warrant taking anything strong, but taking the most common OTC pain meds is bad for bony ingrowth. Here I've been patting myself on the back for tapering opioids and converting to ibuprofen. Now what? Aspirin to go ahead and finish the ulcer that I've probably already started working on from all of the other meds?

I guess I need to research exactly what the importance is of bony seating of the Charite endplates. I probably should also ask, you know, my real doctor rather than trying to be my own doctor. That almost never works out well.
PT, ESI, SI jt injections, 3-level nerve root inj. x 2
Massage, heat, ice, TENS, etc
L5-S1 Charite Jan. 19th, 2009, very happy w/decision
New back pain in upper back though.