View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 09:44 PM

In many ways, I agree with Mark. Especially about the doctors.

I had a family member who worked for a drug company. They were one of the successful ones. Their profit was 6% at the time. It was not the cost of the medicine, it was the R&D that eat up profits. One of their most profitable items was birth control pills. The hard cost of the containers (cardboard and plastic), cost more than the pills inside. Factor in the R&D, the fact that many drugs never make it out of FDA trials and the bulk of the time their patten is in effect has already expired once it hits the market. They sell these drugs as fast as they can for as much as they can to cover R&D, their sales force to get the new drugs out there in a hurry, plus liability from lawyers. This is one reason why the costs varies so much from state to state and country to country.

One of their products was a vaccine for kids. The FDA told them how to make it. One kid in 100,000 gets a drug reaction that wipes out the kids nervous system. The drug company could still be sued. The lawyers venue shop to find a part of the country where the jury pool is most likely to give a big reward. The jury sees these kids who now require 24 hour care. They figure the kid and there parents deserve something so big $$$ is rewarded not because the drug company did anything wrong, the government told them the formula and how to make it, but because they sympathize with the parents. Ultimately the laws were changed but to only cover this particular vaccine as no manufacturer was willing to make the vaccine until they did.

I have no problem with a well thought out law, with recourses in case something doesn't work. When Congress doesn't even read the bill, I'm concerned. When Congress doesn't know how to pay for it I'm concerned. When the costs are based on 10 years, and Congress figures it will take three years to get it up and running, I get the feeling the public is being snowed on the actual costs. Break it down to what it is projected to cost each year, don't put three years at minimal costs to bring the cost over ten years down.

A couple of things I feel would help right away. Let health insurance companies cross state lines like car insurance. Do something about tort reform.

Can't sit any longer. Off my soap box now. If you feel different about anything I have said, speak (write) up. I won't be offended. At my barber shop, this is how we solve the problems of the world.