View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 06:23 PM

Hi ~ I am so thankful for this forum and happy to introduce myself. I am 39 and married with 3 children (ages 10,6,and 3). I'm a stay at home mom - which hasn't been an easy thing on a really painful back.

I've had back pain for 13+ years. Three years ago, 3 months after my son was born, my L4-5 disc had a severe herniation. Passed out at the kitchen table from pain, rushed to the hospital, and 4 days later had microdisectomy. The immediate excruciating pain was gone, but I was left with a lot of pain and numbness in my right calf and foot. And in the last 3 years the pain has continued to get much worse. In February, I was scheduled to be part of a clinical trial for the nucleoplasty. I had a discogram to confirm the pain generator. My pain had shifted to other areas - my low tailbone and both legs and the pain in my right leg had improved a little bit. I wanted to be sure the surgeon was operating in the right place. The discogram revealed that I had most of my pain coming from my L5-S1 and that I had problems at two levels which kicked me out of the study. Now, my surgeon wants to do a hybrid - fusion at l5-s1, adr at l4-5. The second opinion I sought said not to do the hybrid surgery as a Boston spine group was having problems with this surgery. He suggested 2 level ADR. He recommended Texas Back and Jack Zigler or Dr. Bertagnoli. Through researching Dr. B, I found this forum. I also ironically got a phone call from Paula (my second opinion doc was her surgeon and he put us in touch). When she mentioned her name, I shouted out "I know you" - because I had read all about her on this forum. And of course I had wanted to talk to her since she has had surgery with Dr. Zigler.

As it stands now, I am researching ADR. I go to see Dr. Zigler at TBI on June 25th. I am emailing Pro-Spine and talking with Mark ******* - trying to figure out how to go about seeking Dr. Bertagnoli's opinion.

And discussing a spine stimulator as an option if I try to hold out longer on the surgery with my pain clinic doctor.

I think that is about all of an intro I have in me at this moment - I need to lay down! Arg!

Again - this forum and all of you sharing your experinences has been an incredible gift.

Thank you,
Stephanie

Back pain began 1990
DDD
L4-L5 microdiscectomy 2004
Pain Management - too many to list
Discogram - discovered problem at L5-S1 2007
Deciding on next step - Hybrid, 2 level ADR, or 2 level fusion?