View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 07:44 PM

Default Educating docs along the way

After telling my GP about consulting with surgeons out of the country since we lost the appeals for fusion with Regence, she got on the horn with the MRI doc.
Since previous MRI reports didn't mention the magic word- spondylosthesis that is required for fusion coverage, nor did the surgeon, she asked this MRI doc if this was so. He tells her that, "Yes, Shay has spondylosthesis, I didn't know they wanted me to use that word." AHHHHH!

So now he is writing an amendment to the MRI, sending it to the surgeon, also trying to talk to the surgeon as to why he didn't see it himself.
This is craziness.

Months of pain, and stress and appeal work, all because the report was written up incorrectly.

Anyway, I'm trying to see this as an opportunity to get clearer on my diagnosis, before rushing into the planned fusion. This is a red flag for me with the original surgeon. I plan on asking him about it.

Meanwhile I have consultation pending with 4 other surgeons to get clarity.

Just a reminder to pay attention to EVERYTHING! This only happened because my partner Yona came to the appointment with me and pestered the doc.
On a Butrans patch today, feeling less pain and kinda high.

Shay
2010 scheduled ADR surgery, denied, scheduled fusion, denied also.
2011 Appealed fusion all the way up. Lost.
Current MRI: moderate foramina stenosis and .collapsed disc in L5/S1. Spurs and fusion of disc also.
L4/L5 small bulge and slight stenosis.
1/18/12 I became Borg. double ADR w/ Mr. Boeree