View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 12:55 AM

Thanks sahuaro. I am doing fine. It is such a painful recovery. more than I expected even after reading all the posts here. I am supposed to be mobile but something I did today way overdid it....took about 8 hrs to get back into the lower level of pain on percocet. I am absolutely dreading the plane ride home next week. I cant imagine how difficult it will be and how long it will take for the nerves to calm down once I am able to lay down in my own bed.

Well it has been a very long and very frustrating road to get this surgery. To others still fighting, keep looking for ways to get what you need. Don't give up. Look for new alternatives whether it's applying to a different insurance plan at your current job, changing jobs to get different insurance, research what plans are avail to individuals in your state and paying premiums out of pocket on an individual plan, see if you qualify for Social Security Medicare Disability and if so what plans are offered in your area etc. Do what you have to, to get to where you need to be to get the right insurance, right surgery, and right surgeon! It took years to finally get my SS disability award after being denied and filing an appeal. Once I won the appeal it still seemed to take forever to get my Medicare health insurance benefits and monthly checks. It's by no means a quick or easy fix but for me I was at rock bottom with no other options and so I just had to wait it out.

For now I am focusing on my recovery and then I will have to start putting my life back together including dealing with the financial disaster I am in as well as the damage to my career I've endured because of this stupid delay in getting my health back. I'm just taking one step at a time.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop