View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Lightbulb Priorities!

While the public option may be a humane measure within a healthier society, I don’t believe it’s sustainable, as:
§ We Americans are a really sick bunch, with appr. 1/3 of us confessing to a chronic condition or illness of some kind. While big pharma profits from this problem, we 100,000,000 people are weighing on the medical system and of course the taxpayers. We as a society need to identify and solve the causes of these problems! I sincerely doubt that it’s soft drinks and Doritos that are causing these chronic issues, though that may be a substantive part of the problem.

§ Until our people and economy get healthier, just “shifting” this patient population onto a new trillion-dollar program is ignoring fundamental, serious and expensive problems. Do we really need to create a whole class of people dependent on another, unsustainable program? Medicare/Medicaid is already in deep trouble. Case in point: some spinal treatment procedures may be affected by 22% cuts in reimbursements to docs by Medicare; we’ll find out after March 1st. Less reimbursement for spine care means less doctors performing the appropriate procedure for the patient.
Before we even get mired in debate about the many unaddressed problems, why not focus on what we discussed as opportunities for REAL solutions that benefit patients:
§ Allow insurance companies to compete across state lines – in any state they can compete – on any grounds. In other words, even if some companies may be more expensive than others, they may offer better, more desirable coverage to subscribers. In other words -- free, open competition. Who are the special interests prohibiting this solution? I'd really like to know!

§ Require that any FDA-approved procedure must be reimbursed by insurance.

§ Prohibit cherry picking of subscribers. Allow people with pre-existing conditions to enter a plan – then help them get better by applying new medical research, insights and even market incentives.
JJ, you’re right – these are complex issues. I think we are blessed and cursed having to look at a number of different sources to piece the puzzle together. In the meantime, thank you all for sharing your ideas here. It helps me a lot too.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate