View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 PM

Default missing the point

I feel like people who post on this website should agree on a base level that the status quo of insurance companies negatively and devastatingly control our lives by refusing to cover our ADR surgery. our experience is much like the documentary SICKO but it's been awhile since SICKO has received a lot of press so we need to remind people of this particular problem. Obama and the Dems are trying really hard to make things better in the heathcare market so let's take advantage of this political time to collectively make our point on at least this one issue.

so, right now it doesn't matter so much what it states on any one bill. There are multiple bills and ideas. There is no final bill yet that is ready to be presented to the President. The House and Senate do not agree and after losing Ted Kenedy's senate seat to a Republican centerfold who says he will join his Republican colleagues and refuse to pass healthcare reform, it's harder for the House to reconcile with the Senate to get a final bill to the President.

The real point is that we all need to contact our House and Senate Reps and tell they what we want and expect them to do whatever it is you expect Put it in your own words. IF you live in a state and district with republicans, tell them you expect them to cooperate with Obama instead of being the party of NO. If you live in a State or district with bluedog Dems, and/or if Ben Nelson, Joe Lieberman, Olympia Snow, Blanche Lincoln are your Senators, you really need to step up and put some pressure on them to cooperate and support the House version of the healthcare reform bill.

For more information about a leading House Rep supporting Health Care Reform, see http://countdowntohealthcare.com/anthonyweiner/ Rep Anthony Weiner is from NY but he has created this website for people who want to support the public option to sign his national petition and/or just read more info about this issue.

Previously, I specifically pointed people in the direction of something concrete. a policy (not law) in place for federal employees with federal health insurance plans. A policy that instructs insurance companies to cover drugs and devices that are FDA approved and to stop trying to call these newly approved drugs and devices 'experimental and investigational.' Why did I specifically point this out...because it's the main reason why most of us were denied ADR surgery! So I feel like this is a point of contention this particular group of people should agree on. And it's something concrete you can ask your representatives to make part of the new healthcare reform.

I feel like the main reason why people like us are failing to making a lot of press noise with our House and Senate Reps is because we are exhausted just from fighting our insurance companies about our individual problems. The way to be most effective is to take advantage of this unique time and make noise. Write, email and call your representatives. Ask your family and friends to do the same. If they see what you've been through, chances are they don't want the same to happen to them!

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop