View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 PM

CindyLou,

My symptoms prior to having ADR were somewhat similar to yours. In my case I had so called psuedo-radicular pain slowly run from my butt down into the outside of my thigh then down to the outside of my calf and eventually the bottom of my foot. I started to have hip issues about the time the pain moved below my knee. They call it psuedo-radicular pain because the source of the pain is the degenerating disk. Tears in the annular fibers of the disk allow some of the softer inner material from the nucleus to come in contact with the nerve root. The proteins from the nuclear material are poision to nerve root. They cause the nerve to get highly irratated which of course causes the muscles in the leg to not fire normally. The body then uses other muscles to walk, ride a bike, or whatever movement you need to do. Those muscles are not meant to be used as the primary muscles to get your movements accomplished. They attach to the trocanter and either have too much force put on them or pull at the wrong angle which causes pain and swelling or as they say "trochanter bursitis".

My hip problems cleared up after I had a microdiscectomy 06-2005 (I would not recommed a microdisectomy to anyone). They returned shortly after I was rear ended in an auto accident. They would clear up for a few weeks after a steroid injection into my spine, but always return. My ADR was just done 01-12-2007, but I have had no hip problems to date. Cycling used to be a sure fired way to inflict major hip pain everytime I rode. Tuesday I rode 17 miles without any hip pain at all. Last Fall my gait would have been off for a day or two after that kind of ride. Good luck.

06-2005 / microdisectomy L4-L5
09-2005 / car wreck and return of pain
11-2006 / recurrent disk rupture L4-L5 causing
near total disability
01-12-2007 / ADR L4-L5 and currently am
recovering fine

Cordially,
Grizz