View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 07:43 PM

I hear this argument all the time and it is usually fueled by the insurance companies themselves who lead you to believe that most people are gold-diggers who have lawyers marketing to them about how rich they both are going to become. At the end of the day the profit with insurance companies make most cases settlements small and petty. I personally sued for one reason alone. My medical out of pocket expenses were $74,000 after my accident. That money will result in the difference of a nice retirement down the road vs. living in poverty or working till I am dead. I only wanted to get my money back. I never was out to get wealthy. The scumbag lawyer representing State Farm was James Cotant from Michigan and he was a jerk the whole way through. He acted like the money was coming out of his pocket and was far more abusive than he had to be. I got my money back with a huge fight that went to mediation. I sure did not get rich but State Farm could not have cared less about my injuries. They expect most of us to cave in and settle for peanuts. I am too much of a fighter and would do this all over again to get my money back. I agree that many people judge from afar until they are in a similar predicament. I am damaged for life and this lady only had a measley $100,000 policy. I should have gotten way more than I did but did not want to take their house. I figured I had to live with myself at the end of the day and did not let greed guide my actions. Most people are injured people looking for a little compensation for this. The frivolous MacDonald's hot coffee suit is what the insurance companies want you to believe every lawsuit is about.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5