View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 02:03 PM

David,

I think it is a good idea to get as many opinions as possible. Not only would I get an opinion from a Charite ADR surgeon, but also a Maverick and Prodisc surgeon. Compare and contrast opinions. Also, someone that is involved in minimally invasive measures as Mark mentioned.

As for me - in the beginning of my "spiney hood" journey, I had conflicting opinions from "You're depressed, have some anti-depressants" to "Lets schedule you for a fusion". But keep in mind that all the docs that I seen at the time were trained in similar fashions for surgical approaches to spinal pain - discectomy & fusion. I was not offered minimally invasive interventions either....atleast not at first - even though I was a candidate. ADR at the time was in it's infancy in the clinical trials here in the US.

I hate to say this, but keep in mind how surgeons make their $$$ - SURGERY - I know that they are not all alike, but I have been in the industry enough to know how some of them are. It's a cynical thought, I know... However, you are your best advocate. Ask these surgeons about not only ADR but the other interventions too. Doesn't hurt to inquire. Another big question to ask is how many cases these surgeons have under their belt. You don't want to be a part of their learning curve.

It's your spine and only you will know what is best for you and your situation. I know you are in a lot of pain, but if you can get rid of this pain with a less invasive measure - it really is the route to go.

If you are just completely focused on ADR - then I would make absolutely sure of where all of the pain is coming from with as many diagnostic tests and opinions as possible. A correct diagnosis is just as critical as the experience of the surgeon and the surgery in and of itself.
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!