View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Administrator

A while back, I found this amazing article (attached). After reading it again today, I found more gems of intelligence that helped me connect more dots, while also validating some of my grandiose conclusions about health issues facing many patients within this community.

Following the general theme of "pathologies of spine disease," I attached an article that is now ten years old. It is not only well-researched, but it seems to be the most analytical document I’ve read that ties so many disparate pieces of pathologies and disease together – so that even patients can understand the implications of the evidence presented!

It’s not a spine-centric article, per se, but here are a few points I found interesting:

- An excerpt: “…80% of joint infections in England & Wales (1990-92) were due to mycobacteria…there is a predilection for weight bearing joints and the spine.”

- The author, Dr. Goldenberg, is based in Mass., but did not include any clinical data from the U.S. Furthermore, the paper was published in The Lancet, a UK journal.

- Note the algorithm(s) for evaluating an infected joint; which includes blood, synovial fluid AND tissue. Try getting your ortho to test all these -- most will not except in very rare circumstances.

I am sure there are many other points that patients will find valuable and interesting. Please read it a few times, share it with someone and talk about it. Then read it again in a few weeks!

Again, I find it amazing that this was written a decade ago – with so few other like this published since then. Why is that?!

We are still very much in the dark on these important issues. I hope that helps others connect the dots too! There are many...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Septic_Arthritis.pdf (86.9 KB, 20 views)
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate