View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Rich: just my $0.02 regarding minutiae....Staph is a gram positive bacteria, Pneumoncystis is actually an opportunistic fungus. BUT, many of the other bugs mentioned in the other articles are indeed gram negative bacteria. Gram neg bacteria can be difficult to treat, as many have become resistant to common antibiotics, because of overuse of antibiotics in inappropriate situations (eg. the common cold....it's viral, no point to antibiotics, but some people demand it, and some doctors seem to give in...)
Treating a discitis would generally seem to require long term antibiotics, as the blood supply into the disc itself is not fabulous (I'm speaking from my veterinary experience here...). I've got an appt coming up regarding my shoulder (crikey, it never ends!) and am planning on asking my orthopod about such bacterial theories surrounding DDD, sciatica, blah blah blah. We shall see what she thinks. She is the "medical" orthopedist in the practice I see, vs the "surgical" orthopedist, who is her partner. It's a nice combination of folks, eh?

Susan/ERvet
2007-RF @L5-S123, 2mo relief
2008-disco pos @L5-S1, +/-L4-5
Waiting as long as poss for ADR, considering biacuplasty
Don't even ask about the other ortho sx!
New onset left-sided pain Nov 08