View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Post Blood Donation

Just my own observations here: the need for patient-supplied blood donations has decreased significantly over the years -- here are some of the contributing factors:

- While the spinal access procedures have been refined (more highly trained vascular docs for anterior procedures), blood loss has been minimized substantially. Hint: READ your OR surgical reports; most reports will (or should) describe the blood loss in ml during your procedure. I think mine was 4-5 ml, but I am straining my neuron (singular) to recall the reports I read five years ago.

- The general acceptance & use of blood filtration equipment is widespread, so your own blood can be recirculated and used. This way, the patient does not have to receive transfusions. Look up cell salvage or cell saver technologies for more info.

- In the past several years, even the FDA has admitted the fact that the blood supplies are not screened for many other nasties – like Babesia and other pathogenic microbes. This preventable tragedy was learned after dozens of confirmed infections were caused by transfusions (using the “public” blood supply). This was documented in the US as well as the UK. I posted on this topic on this board and will dig up the reference topics if I can find some time. A bit of a digression here: it's odd that the donor can be chronically ill and still donate blood. See the Red Cross guidelines.

The recommendation for taking iron pills seems unusual to me. Are you anemic? Whatever the case, you may want to carefully review your blood tests with a hematologist before surgery anyway…have you asked your PCP these questions? Will he/she refer you to a hematologist?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate