View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 09:39 AM

GD, your signature has a couple of worrisome things in it. Between spondy, DDD and facet damage, you've got a lot going on and may not be able to get ADRs. What I'd suggest is getting copies of your imaging studies, the actual images and not just the radiologist's report, together with any diagnostic work you have and to get them out a couple of the better known EU docs like Clavel and Bertagnoli.

With as much as you have going on in your spine, you're likely to want multiple opinions rather than just going with one surgeon as you're likely to hear a mix of options from all-fusion, fusion-ADR hybrids, to maybe even all-ADR. Piecing together who offered what and why they offered that will then be the task, rather than finding the "ONE DOC" to work on your back. Spondy is a contraindication for ADR. Facet damage can be a contraindication, but even if it's not, facets can be further damaged by the use of ADR instead of fusion. If both conditions are mild, though, ADR can reverse them to some extent. Laura, for one, had mild facet hypertrophy which became asymptomatic within 5-ish years after her lumbar ADR but it did take a rhizotomy and prolotherapy to buy time and encourage healing.

I don't know where in Utah you are. Laura started her spine adventures when we were living in a small town in northern Utah. At the time we found significant bias against Europe, in general, and against our decision to pursue European surgeons. Follow-up or subsequent discussions about unrelated conditions with Utah MDs, DOs, physical therapists became difficult. This was around a decade and a half ago but I'd make sure your general care physician is aware of your desire to look for a EU surgeon and is willing to continue working with you.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog