View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 AM

While I explored the options with surgeons & procedures, I did deal with a Florida group who specializes in Minimally Invasive surgery & cervical ADR. It is called Center for Artificial Disc Replacement. I was looking for a 3-level lumbar ADR and based on my spondy, they proposed a 2-level ADR and 1-level fusion. They passed it through my insurance carrier and it was denied. They then provided a quote for self-pay which came out to $82K US.

While it was interesting to obtain the quote, the surgeons do not have experience with lumbar ADR. I find the quote to not be unreasonable for the work. However, with the Prodisc option proposed, the lack of lumbar ADR experience, only 3 days of hospital stay, potential for extra costs associated with longer stay, additional follow up, etc., it was not very appealing.

In my opinion, the skilled European surgeons, better ADR products used, more experience with placement, complications, etc. and significantly better price offer a better overall solution. While costs that are covered in this posting demonstrate that Europe is a better choice, it is never the costs alone that are encouraging so many people to travel for surgery. It is often when a procedure will be covered by insurance do people select a US surgeon.

Henry, I don't agree that the forum is an M6 support forum. As Drew and others can attest to the investigation of Activ-L and M6, the support is to members for everything from investigating options, surgery or other, to selection of surgeons, questions to ask, bone density, recovering members with or without complications, etc. I am very pleased that you used a great surgeon and had a successful procedure. While we are both still in recovery, I hope ours will ultimately be a full recovery with no pain and regaining all of our functioning to become once again very active individuals.
2013/2014 – Dessication and significant disc height loss at L4-L5 & L5-S1; L3-L4 disc bulge with hypertrophy; mild spinal stenosis; Grade 1 anterolisthesis (3mm); L4-L5 - marginal spurring and moderate hypertrophy causing neuroforaminal narrowing; L5-S1 - moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing; lumbar lordosis is straightening.

New pains & functional limitations in late 2013 led to exploring ADR procedures. Consulted with 8 surgeons domestically and 9 in Europe.
May 2014 – Anterior and posterior incisions in a 5-hour surgery resulted in 2 M-6s and one facet joint prosthesis (dynamic stabilization system). On the road to full recovery.