View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 PM

When I was in the denial/appeal process, I had PacifiCare. I was told that I could start a whole new appeal process for each new manufac of disc. I don't know if your ins has the same approach so you must call and ask. With that being said...you cannot just forget about an appeal for awhile and then pick it up when you want to. I agree with Saharo said, if you don't file appeals within the timeframes set by your Ins co. rules, you lose your right to appeal. It's all very strict.

In order for you to get to the appeal stage, your surgeon would have had to submit a pre auth for a specific surgery with a specific disc. It's not a general request for back surgery. So, on this level, your post is a little confusing. Ask your dr office which disc they submitted and ask your ins company for all of your records justifying their denial decision.

And, I don't think you get that many levels to appeal. Has your ins co informed you that you get a 3rd appeal level? Or are you at the stage where your only recourse to appeal to the State Dept of Ins (which is also usually futile) Please be aware that the State Dept of Ins may not let you file appeals for more than one surgery/one disc manufacturer...call before making any final decisions of what to do.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop