View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 03:49 PM

Default Questions regarding ADR surgery with exercise

Hello everyone,
I just had a 3 level ADR surgery with Dr Pablo Clavel at my C5-C6 / C6-C7 and L4-L5 on May 7th, 2015. The reason for my main surgery was because I couldn't sit down at all. My ischial tuberosity, my inner sitbones and pelvic floor were a mess, along with the fact that I had sharp pain from my waist down into to feet, ankles, calves, etc. It felt like someone was taking a knife cutting into my legs. Secondary was my neck, as I had severe pain in my neck from my face to jaw, to head, to clavicle, to my arms, radiating into my teeth, throat, and chest. I basically couldn't swallow. I must say 7 weeks later that I can eat again and rarely have any neck symptoms anymore. However, my lumbar is a different story:
The good- all my nerve pain and sharp feet, legs, etc is gone.
The bad- I still have sitting pain, and I've been getting deep tissue massages in my legs: hamstrings, quads, calves, IT bands, hips, and gluteals. He has also done some stretching on me, which has now flared up my perineum pain. Oddly enough when I was in Barcelona, the PT Laia stretched me like Gumby and legs were beyond 90 degrees, along with my adductors and entire lumbar.
The PT in the US did the exact same stretches as I explained to him how to do what Laia did and I now have this discomfort in my perineum along with soreness in my hips and si joints. Obviously, I know it's all connected, and is this a temporary issue due to distraction pain?
Should I continue to stretch as well? I'm so perplexed on why this has transpired. I'm still waiting on Dr Clavel's PT script for my cervical and lumbar, however I took the initiative to start Pelvic PT this Friday.
Has anyone experienced this sort of discomfort and issues?
I know that the disc can't and isn't going anywhere, and I usually walk about 1-2 hrs per day.
My inner adductors are extremely tight as it's pulling on my perineum, hips, groin, and SI joints.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Before the surgery my legs were locked up in spasm, and now everything with the exception of my crotch is loose and the nerves are gone. Is this just normal muscle spasms from the disc height. Also some minor symptoms, are Obturator soreness and rare sacrum/coccyx soreness. I have no back pain where my L4-L5 above my sacrum was inserted. Also can these muscles that have tighten pull on my spine, or cause issues down the road? Dr Clavel's secretary told me to that deep tissue was ok until PT began and to continue to stretch. For 5 1/2 years my entire body locked up, so I'm assuming with my new spine these issues could be normal. My hips locked up so bad last week that the deep tissue message was intense as he has to release them along with my adductors, and groin. It felt good but got some good bruising as well. I'm at crossroads here, as to what to do?
Continue with massage and pelvic PT until I begin my lumbar and cervical PT as well? Do I continue to stretch, my gluts, hips, psoas, hamstrings, quads, etc?
Thanks again for reading my post and any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
FYI- lumbar spine was jacked up 6mm with M6. Torn disc with fluid loss and disc height
FYI- cervical spine was jacked up 2 3mm with M6 and C5-7. Major loss of disc height with thecal sac compression (DDD). Clavel said MRI of Cervical didn't do justice. I was on the verge of paralyzation, and over 40 US doctors said my spine was fine and to pop pills!
1 ADR M6-L at L4-5 (1 10mm)
-Torn disc (fissuring), loss of disc height (mild DDD), approaching thecal sac as well
*Gained 1 1/2- 1 3/4 inches in height due to M6 disc height, and perfect lordosis now

Last edited by TheGrt8; 06-24-2015 at 05:50 PM.