View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 05:45 PM

The above is a real good example of why we need to be thinking about what and how we post. Try searching for PA and see what you get! On the other hand, searching for Pennsylvania, unfortunately, does little good because no posts occur with both Pennsylvania and Blue Cross Blue Shield or BCBS. I came up with about 36 posts that *might* be the answer we're looking for, but not one is labelled obviously so the only alternative is wading through *all* of them until I stumble on the one for which we're looking! Oi!

What I'm driving at is this: Think of the value of your posts not only for yourself at this moment, but in terms of research value for the future. If you really think about what you're posting and how you write it, then members searching in the future will be able to easily retrieve the information you posted and derive some benefit from it. Acronyms are valuable as shortcuts when everyone (including the search engine) knows and recognizes them, but when they are only known to the author of a post then they only serve to confuse (and the information they represent is only valuable for the short time that the thread is active). (Hey, I come from Massachusetts. You think I like writing *that* out every time?!!) ;-)

While I'm on the subject of posting quality, I'd like to gently request that posters remember that accepted Internet standards recognize ALL CAPS as the equivalent of SHOUTING and ought only to be used for that purpose (but not here, as we *never* shout at our neighbors here!).

Years of pain, discectomy, research into anatomy, hardware, clinical trials, facilities, surgeons, techniques, insurance. Attempts at ProDisc, Activ-L trials. Now, low bone density. D'oh!!!

At 61 years, no longer qualifying for trials due to my age (chronological, not physical or mental).

2009 - Working on improving bone density or getting rich so I can go to Germany, where medicine and insurance have gone beyond the Stone Age.