Thread: Eating
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 11:40 PM

I hate getting in arguments about "my doctor is better than your doctor" but I'm going to indulge briefly. I'd mentioned elsewhere that I was VERY impressed with the diet that Dr. Hauser offers at Caring Medical in Chicago. The reason why I was impressed, and my first concern with the Rave diet referenced in your video, is that Hauser starts with blood pH, glucose tolerance, and insulin testing to determine how your body is handling your current diet and how well you metabolize sugars. If the Rave diet started with that same basic information and was tailorable to match your body's metabolism, I'd really like the idea. In fact, that's my overall indictment of all one-size-fits-all diets: how do they know that my body's metabolism will work the way they think it will?

Other than that, it looks like the Rave diet espouses an all plant based approach. If you add the need to eat organic produce to that basic idea, it seems like a solid idea. I will point out that, as Michael Pollan wrote, even cultures that ate meat more or less exclusively failed to have the health challenges caused by the Western diet. From that standpoint, it's clear that the need is to move to a diet that isn't based on the Western paradigm of commodity food. That is, you can't be healthy just living on vitamin and mineral supplementation and normal grocery store pre-prepared foods.

I know that it's old news by now, but I'd suggest a simpler approach following mostly Pollan's Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. From that, tailor your selection of what you eat based on what your metabolism can handle based on some basic testing.

On a side note, I've known that I was allergic to certain foods for close to 40 years now. Recently, Laura and I have been checking into the differences between IgE allergic reactions (translated into layman terms: acute and often severe reactions) and IgG sensitivities (subtle effects). We've both sent off for IgG testing with Alcat but haven't received the results yet. If the company does well, I'll post here and let everyone know.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog