View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Actually I don't see anything wrong with the article as posted .. and I appreciate that this forum is open minded enough to post not only the good but the bad in our little medical circle.

Yes the article in question brings up a name of a well known giant in back surgery, but his name really means nothing to me.. I have never had any dealings with him..and have just heard his name on these forums.. However it does point out that MD's are as human as you and I.. and they do fall victim to marketing schemes as well... after all they might still be altruistic enough to care about their patients, but the bottom line is also financial for them. They too are out for the big bucks and an early retirement.

I've had relatives who were drug reps and device reps and the amount of greed and graft in this area is HUGE...

I think the article is good in the fact that it points out to US the patient.. buyer beware.... just like anything else in our lives..

Unfortunately many citizens still feel their physicians are only out for their best interests.. and sadly that is not always the case.

With the amount of bad responses we have seen here regarding disc replacement therapy I believe the field is in it's infancy and many guidelines still need to be developed and FOLLOWED for the proper selection of ADR candidates. It's just another tool for a doc to use, but not always the best option depending on the patient and the medical condition involved.

I actually thank my lucky stars that I DID NOT get an ADR with my surgery. The last words my surgeon told me before they put me under was.. "I will do what ever is best for YOU" and I truly feel the fusion I received was THE BEST choice for me...

Of course I have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.