View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 10:28 PM

Default Do I really need surgery?

Hi, I'm new here and have read a lot of your posts. And, I feel that if anyone can help me, it is all of you.

In a nutshell, I have constant neck pain when turning or tilting my head in any direction. I have gone through Chiropractic, PT, Pain Management, and am currently doing acupuncture. All have given only temporary relief. Once every couple of months I have flare ups where my normal pain of a 4 goes to about an 8 and the pain extends down between my shoulder blades and into my left shoulder, but not down my arm. Reading Spine-Health.com my symptoms seem to be more consistent with Osteoarthritis than due to a bulging disc pressing on a nerve. Could it be a combination of both?

So anyway, I had an MRI and a Discogram with Cat Scan done. And, I have a bulging C5-6 disc. I don't have a healthy curve in my neck, like I should, and have been told there is evidence of Osteoarthritis. I've been to 2 surgeons in the Milwaukee, WI area who have both recommended surgery (I'm going to a third next week). Both, have said fusion mainly because ADR is hard to get covered by United Healthcare (as you all know). From reading this forum, it sound like most of you would recommend ADR over fusion surgery for a single level cervical operation. Most of the time I can function fine (except when it flares up), of course sharp pain everytime I move my head is annoying.

Given all this, I have some questions:
1) For those who have had surgery, what type of outcome can I expect from surgery?
2) Will the pain ever completely go away?
3) What is the failure rate of surgery? Both not getting better and catastrophic results?
3) Is surgery right for me? If so, ADR or fusion?
4) Do I have any chance of getting UHC to cover an ADR?
5) Which ADR is best? Prodisc-C? Prestige? Another one?
6) Is there a surgeon in Wisconsin who you can recommend?
7) Since my pain doesn’t travel down my arm, is that a sign I don’t need surgery, or can I expect it to worsen and travel down my arm over time?

Thanks in advance for reading this and taking the time to respond. As you can appreciate this is a big decision for me, and I don’t want to make the wrong one.