View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Default New here...can't decide what to do...

Hi - I am new here---and I am hoping for some advice. In June, I hurt my neck...playing in a giant blow-up alligator. (Which has definitely been a great story to explain my "non-mobile" neck...have to remember that I am 44!) I was diagnosed with a herniated disk at C6 - C7 - with numbness, nerve damage, weakness...and that horrible radicular arm pain. After spending the following months in physical therapy and taking painkillers, the orthopedic dr. recommended epidurals. The epidurals did help...and the pain is a better - but, I can not get through the day without at least one painkiller, and I can hardly move my neck to the left side without severe pain.

With the recommendation of the orthopedic dr., I saw an orthodpedic "neck doctor" surgeon on Friday. He said I should have improved more since June, and he recommended surgery. He also noted that I have bone spurs in C5/C6 and C6/C7; however, he and I both think they are not the source of the current pain/problems.

He said I could have the traditional bone fusion surgery, or I could have the Prestige artificial disk replacement (if my insurance company will approve it.) I honestly don't know what to do - I am interested in the Prestige, and I think it sounds like I will have more mobility, and it will put less stress on my other disks. But - I am terrified of the swallowing issue. Do a lot of people have problems swallowing after surgery? How long does it usually last?

And - what is the typical time for healing? I know everyone heals differently, but what would be an "average" time. I know this will sound crazy, but, I am scheduled to run a 1/2 marathon at the end of March, and I want to know if it would even be possible to walk/run it four months after surgery.

And---most of my friends/family have told me they are relieved I am finally getting surgery - I am truly uncomfortable most of the time, and I can not sleep at all without painkillers, and even then I wake up a couple of times a night with neck or arm pain. However, one co-worker has told me that there is no way I should be having surgery because I am "not in enough pain", and that if I can run every day, I am definitely not in enough pain to have neck surgery. I explained that all my doctors and my physical therapist have all told me that it is ok to run, as long as I am not in more pain. In all honesty, the only time it truly doesn't hurt is when I am running - and usually for a couple of hours after that. She also told me it would take at least a year to feel better, and I would be basically bed-ridden during that time. (She had lumbar spinal fusion a couple of years ago.)

Anyway - to sum up my rambling email...

Do I need to be in worse pain to think about neck surgery?
Should I be able to begin running in 3 months, barring complications?
How bad is the swallowing problem?
And...I guess - does anyone regret having the surgery?

Thanks in advance from a very nervous person... :-)