Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 05:07 PM

Default New Member

New member introduction.

On January 15 I had severe left shoulder pain. My GP first diagnosed bursitis, gave me prednisone and muscle relaxents. No improvement one week later and GP referred me to a physical therapist. Two weeks later with no improvement I asked for a referal to an orthopedic surgeon who ordered X-ray of my shoulder and MRI of my shoulder and neck as I reported shooting pains down my left arm. He also gave me a steroid shot to the shoulder.

He referred me to a neurosurgeon when he saw the MRI which indicated degenerative disc disease. The neurosurgeon said I need immediate anterior discectomy and fusion of C5-C6 and C6-C7. He noticed weakness in the left arm and lack of triceps reflex. But he said I could wait another two weeks and gave me 30% chance of recovery with more prednisone and perscription naproxen.

I went to a second neurosurgeon for a second opinion who said I should try two more weeks of physical therapy and ordered a CT scan of the cervical spine because the MRI was not clear on C6-C7 herniation. He said I had a detectible reflex in my left triceps.

Physical therapy helped with severe shoulder pain. Can avoid pain if I keep my head down, but left arm pain and shoulder pain return if I lift my head up or bend it back.

Saw second neurosurgeon for again in two and a half weeks time. He said surgery was necessary. No triceps reflex. He said either two level discectomy and fusion, or single level disc replacement. Since C5-C6 seems to be asymptomatic, although future surgery at that level might be necessary, he said the disc replacement at one level made sense. Although both options could lead to good results, if it were him he would choose disc replacement.

Medtronic, the maker of the Prestige disc, would use Therapy Access Solutions to prepare the request for predetermination for the Prestige disc to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas.

Request letter and supporting documents were faxed to BCBS on 3/26. It has now been three weeks with no decision.

I am wondering what an average wait time for a decision is. I have read here that BCBS of Texas has approved disc replacement in the past. I have called both Therapy Access Solutions and BCBS several times and been told a decision should come in the next few days, but no guarantees.

I am thinking of calling my surgeon and asking him to call BCBS to say the surgery is urgent because the longer the wait time the worse my chances of full recovery of muscle use are.

Any advice?
May 6: C6/C7 Anterior discectomy and arthroplasty Prestige ST disc