View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 05:30 PM

I happened to catch one comment on that website and it disgusted me. The guy accuses "deadbeats" of having cheap ins and they should buy better insurance and pay their bills. I can't even bear to read the whole thing because it's just too upsetting.

If my "decent" non-hmo employer provided ins had paid for my surgery years ago I wouldn't be unemployed getting medicare and a future in bankruptcy. My life has gone to catastrophic ends because of my inability to get a medically necessary surgery!

This is insane. Now maybe I might never get approved because of bad credit! Why not give up. How do you ever overcome this mess if everyone wants to keep you down.

I'm a highly educated former professional. I had a lot of debt but I had an excellant credit rating because I worked hard and paid my bills on time. I got injured and was unable to work so then I was unable to pay the bills because I am single and supported myself. I was never a deadbeat, and now I'm a victim of a perfect storm of events. Something goes wrong in an unrelated surgery to injure my back but I can't prove it because I was under general anesthesia and none of the medical staff recorded anything unusual in my medical records. I elected the most expensive insurance plan at my last employer but it did me no good! Because I couldn't get my surgery, I had to move home and live off of my parents while waiting 2 years before my disability appeal was heard. I lost my career, independence, and ocean front apt in CA. It's taken so long to get my surgery and I'm still fighting, that I may be too old and out of practice, and out of networking connections, to return to my old profession when and if that time ever comes!

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop